They will join previously announced performers Ava Max, Bebe Rexha, David Guetta, Gorillaz, Lewis Capaldi and Muse. The “MTV EMAs” 2022, hosted by Rita Ora and Taika Waititi, will broadcast live from the PSD Bank Dome in Düsseldorf, Germany on Sunday, November 13th.
GRAMMY-nominated singer-songwriter Julian Lennon, world-renowned model and activist Leomie Anderson, and British singer-songwriter and TikTok Star Sam Ryder will present awards during the “MTV EMAs.” Additional presenters to be announced.
• Stormzy – Returning to the EMA stage, British musician Stormzy is set to release his highly anticipated third album, ‘This Is What I Mean’, on November 25th 2022 via 0207 Def Jam. On the release of his third album, Stormzy stands not only as one of Britain’s most accomplished rappers, but one of its most accomplished musicians of any genre and a cultural icon. Through his new record, he delivers an undeniable modern classic, effortlessly condensing any number of disparate styles and genres into music which thrillingly broaches any gap between urgent modern treatise, soul and hip-hop. Stormzy is nominated for an EMA 2022 for “Best Longform Video.”
• GAYLE – Making her EMA debut, the fearlessly honest and undeniably magnetic, 18-year-old singer/songwriter GAYLE creates the kind of self-possessed pop music that’s empowering for both artist and audience. Since making her debut with the boldly confessional “dumbass”—a heavily playlisted track that premiered in early 2020—the Nashville-based musician has independently released a series of singles built on her unfiltered yet beautifully nuanced brand of songwriting. Newly signed to Atlantic Records, GAYLE is now at work on her debut project. She is nominated for an EMA 2022 for “Best New” and “Best Push.”
• OneRepublic – Returning to the EMA stage is GRAMMY-nominated OneRepublic, composed of singer/songwriter and lead vocalist Ryan Tedder, guitarists Zach Filkins and Drew Brown, keys Brian Willett, bassist and cellist Brent Kutzle, and drummer Eddie Fisher. The band released their debut set Dreaming Out Loud in 2007. The release included the 20mm selling smash single “Apologize,” which received a GRAMMY® nomination. The band’s sophomore album, 2009’s Waking Up, produced the hit singles “All the Right Moves,” “Secrets” and “Good Life.” The certified-platinum album Native followed in 2013, featuring the No.1 hit “Counting Stars.” The band has amassed 5B streams on Spotify to date. Their latest album, Human, dropped on August 27, 2021 and features singles, which combined have over 2.5 billion global streams and are certified RIAA Platinum: “Somebody”, “Run”, “Somebody To Love”, “Wanted”, “Didn’t I”, “Better Days” and “Rescue Me.” This past summer OneRepublic released one of this year’s biggest global hits, “I Ain’t Worried” which was written for, and featured in, the summer blockbuster movie Top Gun: Maverick.
• Kalush Orchestra – Making their EMA debut, Kalush Orchestra is fronted by Ukrainian rapper, Oleh Psiuk. The band also consists of multi-instrumentalists Tymofii Muzychuk, Vitalii Duzhyk, Andriy Gandziuk, known as MC Dzhonni Dyvnyy, mysterious KylymMen (lead dancer under the nickname that translates as ‘Carpet-Man’), Sasha Kondratiuk, and Sasha Tab (vocalist of the band, also known as a member of the band “Salto Nazad”). Fusing traditional Ukrainian folk instruments and melodies with bouncing modern hip-hop beats and free flowing rap verses, Kalush Orchestra aims to bring Ukraine’s heritage and culture into the present day, celebrating its uniqueness and promoting it around the world. Now the leading voices in a vibrant Ukrainian-language hip-hop that has been bubbling away in the underground over the last few years, they propelled their movement into the global spotlight with their sensational Eurovision Song Contest win in May 2022.
• SPINALL – Making his EMA debut alongside Äyanna and Nasty C, SPINALL is one of Africa’s most recognisable and successful DJs. The DJ, producer & songwriter, is well known for his large catalogue of hit singles, his supreme skills on the decks, and being the first Nigerian DJ to tour Africa, UK & the United States including performances at Ends Festival, OneAfrica, Afronation and Glastonbury Festival. He has also collaborated with the likes of Wizkid, Burna Boy, Davido, Wande Coal, 6lack, Sean Paul, Bastille, Tiwa Savage, Kranium, Omah Lay, Fire Boy DML, Adekunle Gold and many more, across his 5 studio albums.
• Äyanna – Making her EMA debut alongside SPINALL and Nasty C is the British singer-songwriter Äyanna. Äyanna credits the culturally diverse East London neighborhood she grew up in, as well as her English and Jamaican-born parents for introducing her to a wide range of music including reggae, 80s pop, R&B, and soul. Äyanna’s 2019 single “Party Tricks” was one of the first songs she ever wrote and was included on BBC Music Introducing. Äyanna showcased both her songwriting and singing prowess with SPINALL and DJ Snake on “Power (Remember Who You Are), which is created for the Flipper’s Skate Heist Short Film. The empowering and infectious dance track, which interpolates the memorable keys from Nina Simone’s “Sinnerman,” features Summer Walker. She is currently working on her debut project.
• Nasty C – Making his EMA debut alongside SPINALL and Äyanna, Nsikayesizwe David Ngcobo better known by his stage name Nasty C, is a multi-award winning South African rapper. His record-breaking sophomore album, “Strings and Bling” has been RISA certified double-platinum with over 90 million streams. The album spawned four multi-platinum singles with “King”, “Jungle”, “Strings And Bling” and “SMA” as well as 6 platinum records and 7 more records off the album that are certified Gold. His international success hit a high point in recent years with the release of his documentary “Zulu Man in Japan,” and the release of his third album “Zulu Man With Some Power.” The album included collaborations with T.I, Lil Keed, Ari Lennox, Lil Gotit, Tellaman and Rowlene. Nasty C is currently working on his fourth studio album, to be released by Def Jam Records.
The “MTV EMAs” 2022 will broadcast live on MTV in more than 170 countries and on Pluto TV in select territories across the US, Latin America and Europe and Comedy Central in Germany on November 13th. Please check local listings as the live show may not be available in some countries.
Fans can vote for their favorites across 17 gender-neutral categories, including “Best Song,” “Best Artist,” “Best Collaboration,” and two all-new categories “Best Longform Video” and “Best Metaverse Performance,” at www.mtvema.com until November 10, at 5:59pm SIN.